State of Hawaii Requirements
On January 9, 2006 the State of Hawaii established a three stage graduated licensing program for drivers under 18 years of age,
- 1. Instructional Permit Phase
– Must be at least 15 years and 6 months to acquire an Instructional Permit2. Provisional License Phase – A person may be granted a provisional license if that person:
– Is at least 16 years old, but under 18,
– Holds an instructional permit and has held it for at least 180 days and there is no pending violation that might result in a suspension or revocation of that person’s instructional permit,
– Satisfactorily completes a State Certified Driver’s Education Course and possesses the Classroom and Behind the Wheel certificates,
– Successfully passes a road examination test.3. Full License Phase – A provisional licensee may be issued a full driver’s license if the provisional licensee:
– Has satisfactorily held the provisional license for at least 6 months,
– Has no pending violation that might result in a suspension or revocation,
– Is at least seventeen (17) years old; and has satisfactorily complied with all the requirements of Chapter 286, Hawaii Revised Statutes.
Each student must successfully complete 30 hours of classroom instruction by a certified Driver Education Instructor. Instructors follow the American Driver and Traffic Safety Education Association (ADTSEA) curriculum.
BEHIND THE WHEEL (BTW) INSTRUCTION
Each student must successfully complete a minimum of 6 hours of Behind the Wheel Instruction by a certified Driver Education Instructor. Lessons may vary from 1.5 to 2 hour sessions; students will make arrangements with each individual instructor.In addition to the 6 hours of Behind the Wheel instruction with a Certified Instructor each student must have at least 50 hours of supervised driving with a licensed driver over the age of twenty-one, 10 of which must have been night driving.Parent/guardian must submit a Notarized “Supervised Driving Log” Affidavit verifying the student completed the 50 hours of supervised driving with a licensed driver over the age of twenty-one; 10 of which must have been night driving. The completed Notarized Affidavit must be submitted to and will be retained by instructor.
CERTIFICATES OF COMPLETION
Certificates will be issued after successful completion of Classroom instruction, Behind the Wheel instruction and receipt of Notarized Supervised Driving Log Affidavit.
Students must have both Classroom and BTW Certificates in hand when taking the road test.